Google Group (Email List) Instructions
Go to the Group Page Now (instructions below)
What is a Google group?
Google provides a service called "groups" which is similar to an email discussion list, and also similar to an online forum, but not exactly either. If you are familiar with online forums, you can use it that way, or if you like to handle discussions through email, you can use it that way.
Why Google groups?
Google groups provide TEAMM with two very important resources: proper privacy and discussion archives. That is, we want people to be able to search the archives to see topics that are of interest to them and to rejoin older conversations. However, we want to maintain proper privacy so that conversations of a sensitive nature are not viewable by the general public. TEAMM conversations are for TEAMM members, so we use Google groups to control who is allowed in the group.
Additionally, we use Google groups because it allows each individual member of TEAMM to control their own experience. Users can decide whether they want to have all messages sent to their inbox or whether they want to receive a daily synopsis or receive no email at all.
Here are the steps for getting started using our Google Groups:
- Go to the group page: TEAMM-Lafayette
- You will need to sign in to or create a new Google account. These are free, and you can create a Google account using any email address. You don't need to be a gmail user to have a Google account.
- If you are signed in to Google and on the group page, you will see a link to apply for membership. Click on that link, answer the questions, and then hit the blue button.
- Once you are approved, you will be able to view the group page and send messages to the group email address.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: You will NOT receive emails from the group unless you have specified that in your initial request or in your membership settings. If you are a member, there will be a button on the group page in the top right that looks like a person with a small gear. That's the button you use to change your personal settings.
Using the Group
There are three final things you need to now when it comes to using the Google Group:
- Emails you send to the group address must come from an email address recognized by the group. If you send a message from an unregistered email account, it will be silently rejected.
- If you have your settings set up to receive every email sent to the group, each email will appear to be From the individual who sent it and not from the group. However, when you reply, most email programs will send your reply to the whole group. If you want to reply to the individual only, double-check the address in your email program before you send it.
- If you have just joined the group, you may want to go through some of our old messages to see if there are any topics of interest to you. You can browse old messages and search through them right from the Group Page.